Preparation Time: 15
Time to Cook: 18
Baked egg cups make a delectable starter that’s sure to impress. Spinach or kale are layered with cheese, chives and an egg, baked snugly in a cup of shaved ham. This dish will have your guests asking for seconds—and the recipe! And with loads of variations, there is lots of room for experiment!
- 6 thin slices ham
- 18 baby spinach leaves
- 6 tsp (30 mL)crumbled goat cheese
- 6 eggs
- 6 tsp (30 mL)milk (1%)
- 2 tsp (10 mL)finely chopped chives
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL)black pepper
STEP 1 Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
STEP 2 Spray bottoms and sides of 6-cup muffin tin with cooking spray. Line inside of each muffin cup with ham.
STEP 3 Place 3 spinach leaves over ham, then 1 tsp (5 mL) goat cheese over spinach.
STEP 4 Carefully crack an egg over top. Spoon 1 tsp (5 mL) milk over each yolk. Sprinkle chives and pepper over top.
STEP 5 Bake in preheated 350°F (180°C) oven until whites are set and yolks are cooked as desired, 18 to 20 minutes. Run knife around inside of each muffin cup, then remove.
- Instead of muffin tin, use six 1/2-cup (125 mL) ramekins or custard cups.
- Instead of spinach, use kale.
- Instead of sliced ham, use shaved ham.
- Instead of ham, use smoked salmon.
- Instead of goat cheese, use feta cheese, cream cheese or grated hard cheese of your choice.
- Omit goat cheese. Over spinach leaves, place thin slice of tomato and slice of large white or cremini mushroom.
- Omit ham. Use more spinach leaves or a large kale leaf to line muffin cups.
- Omit goat cheese and milk; sprinkle grated Parmesan or Cheddar cheese over each egg before baking.
- Instead of chives, use chopped fresh herbs of your choice.